• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird: Storm Skiing (Jan. 27, 2013)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Snowbird, Utah

Dates: January 27, 2013

Conditions: P, new snow of 3-5", with more in drifted sections.

Weather: Snow, wind, and low clouds. Temps in the 30's and falling.

Report No: 15

The long awaited cold front was on our doorstep, with the promise of clearing out our nasty inversion in the Salt Lake Valley and some new snow for the Wasatch Front. It had been about two weeks since our last snowfall and things were getting skied out. The front was forecast to be downright wild--thundersnow, lightning, hail, high winds, and snow squalls. From what I had seen in the forecasts, I knew that first tram was a must to beat the weather, and then to be ready to call an audible from there. I also had tweaked my back at Deer Valley, so I had to go easy and be prepared to leave early. But any skiing is better than no skiing, so I set the bar low. Well, to foreshadow I went pretty hard, found great snow high and low, and had to be dragged out at 2:30pm. A nice full day.

First tram was the right call. I got my regular spot right near the bridge to Creek Road, which meant I could ski back to the car for a quick getaway. Booted up and got a good spot in line. I saw Dave Guru Powers, Snowbird legend, who had just released his book Snowbird Secrets and made sure to compliment him. For those who love the 'bird, big mountain skiing, or just want to read an exceptional philosophical book on the sport, be sure to get this. It is available as an E-book.

Out of the gate we were met with some high winds from the South and lowering visibility. I decided to head to Regulator for the first spin before the crowds got to it. The clouds dropped and made visibility tough, but the snow was great...it felt more than the couple inches reported. With the cloud cover at ground level, it was a White Room experience and the skis felt like they were floating on air for the first 90 minutes.

Next spin was into Mineral Basin to ski White Diamonds and again found tough visibility but again an airy ski experience. I decided to spin down Mark Malu and found better visibility and simply amazing snow. I agree with Guru Dave's assessment. With the super fast Little Cloud, I was able to bang out several runs in the great snow....nice, dense cover on the base with light essence on top. I headed back down Regulator to Goblin Gully, which was outstanding. If there is one place where a few inches feels like so much more it is Alta-Snowbird. Exit Gully was nice, but a bit bumpy for me yet. Old Lady's Slide was tasty.

After two more spins down Mark Malu, I noticed that the visibility was decreasing and the winds were picking up, so I figured it was Gad II time. I did a nice spin down Bananas and then Election before taking a breather at Mid-Gad. By now it was 10:45 and I was feeling like I could do more...my back was feeling great so I went back out.

With Gad II backed up, I skied down Lower Bassackwards to Baby Thunder, which may appear to be Snowbird's attempt at a beginner area, but actually hides some tasty short expert tree runs that are always overlooked. I figured I had nothing to lose and spent 90 minutes alone down here nailing solid runs in untracked snow on the liftline, Tiny Tiger, which I had to hit three times because of the great lines, fun rolls and snow on Thunder Alley, and some nice bumps on Lazy Susan. Others began to notice and I had company later on some of the runs. While it is a shame that the undergrowth down here has not been cut back, which would allow for more open skiing, the puckerbrush keeps the gapers out and keeps the goods hard to find for those not willing to pull the curtains open. I had experienced some fun runs here last season, but nothing like today...with usually 6 inches of fresh untracked pow and nice lines at 12 noon. The Thunder Alley is a fun side trip...I hugged the rope line the last two runs and enjoyed peace and quiet as the wind howled through the Canyon.

By now I figured it was time to head back to Tram Side, but I would not go too easily. I hit Bear Tree Hill to find some nice drifted pow and then nailed the Upper Gadzoom Liftline, which was perfect bumps and pow. Then down to Trulock's Tricep, which was just too good to pass up. I hit a nice line on far left and then dropped down into the bumps of Madam Annies, which I had not done before. Others were enjoying it as well.

Last run was down Eddie Moe Traverse to a nice line above Lunch Run/Reg's Gully and then down to Sneaky Pete's to get back to Tram Side. It was dumping when I left and I was lucky to get behind a plow that cleared the drive back down to the bottom of the Canyon.

So much better than thought. Great snow, great lines, lots of fun. Loving Utah...greatest snow on earth indeed.

Some shots:

Break time view from Mid-Gad:

ry%3D400

Tiny Tiger top:

ry%3D400

Tiny Tiger...behind the tree curtain:

ry%3D400

Undergrowth...there are ways through there and it scares folks away:

ry%3D400

My (first) tracks down Tiny Tiger:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400