• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

1dog

not sure where this belongs - reposition where it belongs. . . . a rather sad affair that locals either saw the short term money grab or were not organized enough to counter:

Hawk

What the locals need is someone like John or Beth Dutton. LOL Corrupt locals that can out corrupt the influx and influence of billionares. This kind of thing is happening everywhere. Nothing new just much more widespread now. I have come to the relization that with over 3900 areas and even better back country, Europe is the only place to ski if you want cheap tickets, less crowd and more local vibe. It's just a hell of a day trip.

1dog

What the locals need is someone like John or Beth Dutton. LOL Corrupt locals that can out corrupt the influx and influence of billionares. This kind of thing is happening everywhere. Nothing new just much more widespread now. I have come to the relization that with over 3900 areas and even better back country, Europe is the only place to ski if you want cheap tickets, less crowd and more local vibe. It's just a hell of a day trip.
That’s pretty funny Hawk- I thought same and I’m not much of a tv guy.

Europe on other end of spectrum- they have a lot more free time because the incentive to earn more is lessened by very high taxes at all levels.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the article.....

Alta commissioned a study that showed the main factors behind the slowdown. It found that when the main route from the resort is closed and traffic leaving the canyon is redirected onto the bypass road, as many as 500 vehicles from Snowbird will merge between every two cars coming from Alta. Even on a clear day, when what Maughan called the “mainline” is open, between nine and 25 cars coming from Snowbird merge between every two cars from Alta.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, some things they do well in terms of reporting. Other things it seems as if they are trying to "make" the news instead of reporting it.....

I mean, it's literally not a news company anymore, it's a former news company saved from bankruptcy now structured as a not-for-profit organization intentionally masquerading as news to trick people as such to advance leftwing political goals and only able to operate via what should really be considered political "donations" from people of that ilk. And as a non-profit, it doesn't have to pay taxes. Neat trick! That said, at least it does occasionally report on the misdeads of Mormons, so at least it's got that going for it. I've noticed Deseret News, KSL (both Momo owned) etc.... just ignore anything negative about the LDS Church as if it never happened.

BenedictGomez

as many as 500 vehicles from Snowbird will merge between every two cars coming from Alta

How would metering help the net traffic? All it would do is prevent the Alta skiers from being massively screwed, but you'd still have the same number of vehicles to get down the same road.

EDIT: I'm also not buying a 500:2 ratio, that sounds completely impossible. None of those 498 are from Jersey, I'll tell you that much.

jimmywilson69

yeah I've got doubts on their car counting. Then again I'm in favor of the gondola and have been in favor of the One Wassach Gondola that was canned. Really seems like a missed opportunity to offer something that isn't offered anywhere on this continent...

urungus

Ownership of Utah’s relocated NHL franchise has sent out survey of 20 possible nicknames.
They have already said the name will start with “Utah”
Here are the choices:

Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club

I like “Utah Mountaineers” or “Utah Black Diamonds” although for the latter it seems weird to name yourself after a different sport. Hate singular team names like Frost, Ice, Blast which are also so generic they could apply to any city.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My vote is Yeti. Thank God there were no Mormon references that made it as finalists. I'd hate to have something like "the Nephites" or something like that.

teleo

I like blizzard. Just so the blizzard can play the avalanche

BenedictGomez

My vote is Yeti.

I'm not a fan of Yeti, but it's going to win. It's silly & goofy, and silly & goofy always wins these crowdsourced efforts (boaty-mcboatface).

Makes me wonder if they're completely unaware the Colorado Avalance (of....ummmmm..... the NHL) already use the Yeti as a secondary mascot, and off and on use a Yeti footprint on their uniforms.

1715283351838.png

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not a fan of Yeti, but it's going to win. It's silly & goofy, and silly & goofy always wins these crowdsourced efforts (boaty-mcboatface).

Makes me wonder if they're completely unaware the Colorado Avalance (of....ummmmm..... the NHL) already use the Yeti as a secondary mascot, and off and on use a Yeti footprint on their uniforms.

View attachment 62814
I did not know that. Ski Utah also uses it.

Last edited:

urungus

View attachment 62814

Is Colorado‘s secondary mascot Bigfoot or Yeti ? I thought it was Bigfoot ? Are they the same ? I thought the Yeti was Bigfoot’s shaggy white cousin from the mountains of Asia (or an overpriced cooler). Would love to see a Bigfoot vs Yeti battle…’