• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Does Berkshire East Use False Elevation Stats?

jimmywilson69

If you want to rip groomers, you can rack up lots of Vert at Okemo. I usually like to hit it on the back end of some real skiing at Killington. Plus my wife loves it. I'll take skiing vs not skiing for 2000 Alex.

letitsnow1

I dont understand the skiing to rack up vert mentality. I ski to have a good time I don't track anything, it doesn't matter how much vert you skied it only matters how much your smiling at the end of the day

deadheadskier

Staff member
I dont understand the skiing to rack up vert mentality. I ski to have a good time I don't track anything, it doesn't matter how much vert you skied it only matters how much your smiling at the end of the day

Same for the most part. I do prefer areas with longer runs and big vertical vs more pod style skiing, but I certainly don't keep track of how much vert I ski in a day. If I'm simply out there skiing and not working, I'm typically enjoying myself unless it's insanely crowded.

raisingarizona

I’m not into numbers either but I have a lot of fun doing hot laps racking up the vertical. It’s how I get my skier high going. I don’t ever count though.

cdskier

I would hardly call the vertical from the base of NRE to the bottom of Ellen meaningful.

I really don't understand what the big deal is with Killington. Any mountain I ski, I look at vertical from the lowest lift to the highest lift. Whistler in Canada is over 5,000 feet. Snowmass CO is over 4,000 feet. Do you ski all the way to the bottom every run? No,... but that is what the vertical is.

I can see the argument for Straight shot not being meaningful, but 1/2 the terrain on Inverness is at that same elevation and absolutely is. Rim Run->Exterminator->North Way -> Semi Tough would be a great run.

Again, different people care about vertical for different reasons. If I'm not likely to ski all of it, it isn't relevant to me. If the total vert from very top to very bottom is relevant to you, great.

cdskier

I ski to have a good time as well, but I also track my vertical. I just find it interesting to compare data from different years. I don't have goals or anything like that. Honestly I'd rather have 20 powder days with less vertical per day than 20 hard/fast groomer days with more vertical per day.

drjeff

Jolly Turns site is the best for providing accurate vertical and elevations for ski mountains as a whole and for each lift
Just checked that site out. Very cool, very easy to use, very detailed stats for both lifts and trails at what looks to be just about every resort! Definitely will be checking it out again in the future!

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Just checked that site out. Very cool, very easy to use, very detailed stats for both lifts and trails at what looks to be just about every resort! Definitely will be checking it out again in the future!
I generally track my daily vertical at end of day using their lift stats, keeping mental track of how often I ride each lift