• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wyoming Trip - Jackson Hole, Snow King, Grand Targhee

raisingarizona

The anti-bar down mentality is simple. Stupid, but simple. If you're capable of falling out of a chair then you're an idiot and shouldn't be riding the lift. If you have fear of falling out of a chair then you're a pussy and shouldn't be riding the lift. Either way, you suck and they resent being forced to accommodate to your suckiness.

Edit. In the case of teenagers and young adults there could be rebelliousness involved too. "I've been told to do xyz my whole life so fuck you"😅
*i know your post was sarcasm explaining their mentality but my thoughts about them are….

Well, if you ski like a pussy I could see that you might not need the foot rest but if I’m hammering ttb hot laps racking up 30k + very in 4 hours or so I really appreciate the break in between.

It’s simply a nice feature of comfort and it’s ridiculous to make people feel badly about using it.This has been an emerging trend the last 5 or so years and it’s annoying and embarrassing that so many people have their egos wrapped around the idea that pulling the bar down is for pussies. Like really? My first thought when I see that behavior is “wow, this persons ego is so fragile, what a total pussy.”

It’s usually younger people with underdeveloped brains. They don’t always understand risk very well. At 48 years old I could have a heart attack or stroke any day now. If that happens while riding a chair lift I’d like to have the bar down. Beyond that those younger and/or less experienced folks make me nervous. It’s not that impossible that someone could do something stupid and knock another person off the lift or even take another person with them if they fall off.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Bar down especially with footrests. We oldsters need the footrests to give our legs a break. It maybe prolongs our ski day by an hour or so. So think of others once in a while.
Totally, this reminds me of the story about the wise old turtle that’s in a race with the much younger and faster bunny rabbit.

2Planker

Hmmmm
Might be going from Jackson NH to Jackson WY
Wifey was just there and now wants to drop everything ( and ditch her family) to move west.....

urungus

Hmmmm
Might be going from Jackson NH to Jackson WY
Wifey was just there and now wants to drop everything ( and ditch her family) to move west.....
Me too but I’m not rich enough

4aprice

The anti-bar down mentality is simple. Stupid, but simple. If you're capable of falling out of a chair then you're an idiot and shouldn't be riding the lift. If you have fear of falling out of a chair then you're a pussy and shouldn't be riding the lift. Either way, you suck and they resent being forced to accommodate to your suckiness.

Edit. In the case of teenagers and young adults there could be rebelliousness involved too. "I've been told to do xyz my whole life so fuck you"😅
I so disagree with this. Never bothered me back in the day on the old fixed grip Riblets with no bar. But these new Bubble Chairs there is nothing to grab if those things lurch to a halt. It's not about resting my feet its more fear of getting pitched out of the chair. I asked a guy if we could the bar down at Winter Park the other day.

kbroderick

I so disagree with this. Never bothered me back in the day on the old fixed grip Riblets with no bar. But these new Bubble Chairs there is nothing to grab if those things lurch to a halt. It's not about resting my feet its more fear of getting pitched out of the chair. I asked a guy if we could the bar down at Winter Park the other day.
I've gone from uncomfortable with the bar up, to comfortable, back to uncomfortable, then to comfortable again as a result of habit and where I was living/skiing (build comfort with it when somewhere that it isn't customary to use the bar, loose the comfort moving to Vermont, then move to Montana). I have zero problems riding most chairs with the bar up, but the D-Line bubbles...screw that. The bar goes down, even if it's not mechanically enforced.

I do like having the bar down if I'm pulling stuff in or out of my pack, pulling gloves off to use my phone, etc.

I do think that some of the resistance is a "we don't do it that way here, so either don't expect us to do it your way, or wait for your own damn chair" response. Although I don't think anyone has installed a lift without a bar in a while, there are plenty of lifts still in service that don't have them, and if there was a huge difference in insurance claim rates, they'd probably all have been retrofitted or shut down by now.

SkiingInABlueDream

What exactly in my post are you disagreeing with?

kbroderick

Not a bad guess, but that's one that had them added. Just checked a pic I took last year.

The chair is further east.
No crap. That's recent--I moved back east in 2018, so it must have been within the past five seasons. The attachment points were obvious, so it didn't seem like a big ask to add them; I don't know what the cost impact of such a move is or if the total weight becomes an issue (ie do you need to pull a chair off to keep the total loaded weight within spec, or was the chair designed with the weight of the bars included), though.

jaytrem

Next clue: Mr. Christmas's love interest. She's saying you got a chance!

jaytrem

Clue...

When I ride a chair I don't need a safty bar, all I need is the air that I breathe.

crippity

Skiing blue dream, not putting the bar down cuz im a pussy is the fucking dumbest thing ive heard all day. Yeah sometimes at heights/wind/risk/moron i choose safety. I would put my odds at beating the shit out of the tough guys that wont let me put bar down in my favor and ill leave it at that. My example was a simple sample of the youth mentality, she gets claustorphobic? Similar story with much more fun out come: i was riding one of the chairs on whistler/blackcomb (it was 2005 nto going to look up trail map now just remember story) and it was on of the ones that has Super steep highness at ends and i was on a chair with 3 kiwis who were young and talking about party night before. I left it up for as long as possible and then it got to super steep part and i asked if i could put down, i was getting anxious (i know im such a pussy) and they were like "of course, why didnt you say so before. When i was younger i never even thought of this stuff. As i get older heights bother me, goign to madeira over summer and they have some of EU steepest cars down to beaches. Skiing in a blue dream, ill gladly punch you in the face for your wonderful insight.