• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2024- 2025 Gear

DrPeteG

You have a footbed in them? I like to get better arch support than a stock footbed provides

Quietman

I can't justify the cost of true custom footbeds, but these solved a lot of pain issues that I used to have. Been using them in all my shoes for years and I stock up when they are on sale for $25-$30. Heat them up in the oven, then put them in the boots and stand in them for 10 minutes. I also found out that wearing two pair of socks provide some wiggle room for max comfort.

Sole Heat Moldable Insoles

These combined with my Salomon boots with heat moldable liners and shells are perfect for me. I get that a professional fitter is best, but these fit my budget.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a friend with both Peak 98 and Peak 88 who raves about both of them.

I almost considered buying some Peak 88s due to the special they have going on right now, but opted to buy a set of Volkl Kendos instead this week.

As compelling as the $499 price on Peak was, I got my Kendos for $360 knocked down from $395, which was already a screaming deal. I also own the Mantra M102 and the Kendo is essentially the 88mm version of that. I love the M102, so I'm sure I made a great choice for my ski preferences in the Kendo as well.

Lots of great deals on Kendos right now because Volkl is rebranding them next season as the Mantra 88. Same exact ski, different graphics and different name. So shops are dumping their Kendo inventory to make room.

zyk

As a snowboarder I find this very funny. Not making fun of the poster here, its just that it seems there is an inverse correlation to the level of skier to the price they paid / or condition of their poles. Much like the time spent in lodges vs visits to ski resorts.

15 yo dumpster find might be the top of the chart. I don't know if you can beat that. Maybe an older dumpster find at MRG? Found after snowmelt at Alta?

Anyway, sorry to derail this very important thread.
Don't ask about my gloves, pants, and jackets...

jimmywilson69

@Zand Its probably just foot cramping since you aren't skiing as much. I sometimes have that early season. At 7 years old your liners could be packed out and your foot just isn't accustomed to it since you aren't skiing as much. just a hunch...

deadheadskier

Staff member
@Zand Its probably just foot cramping since you aren't skiing as much. I sometimes have that early season. At 7 years old your liners could be packed out and your foot just isn't accustomed to it since you aren't skiing as much. just a hunch...

Definitely would be my first thought as well. Unless I go into a season in really good shape, I always get foot cramping early season. Even when in shape, it takes a few days out to get over.

That said, feet can certainly change in a 7 year period. I've always had flat feet, but between about age 37 and 45, my arches collapsed further and required new custom foot beds.

I am a believer that custom foot beds are 100% the most impactful equipment purchase a skier can make. It's also perhaps the investment that has the most longevity. Provided you don't have major changes like I did, it's not unreasonable to expect to get 500 days out of custom foot beds. That's like 60 cents a day. Skis and boots themselves are pretty much toast after 125-150 days of use.

Zand

I have flat feet too, so even more reason to follow through with custom footbeds. I'm sure a lot of the pain is due to me being an out of shape fatass but trying custom footbeds I hope will make a difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you can swing it financially, I would do both foot beds and boots given the age of your boots. I'd probably go to Strands in Worcester living where you do.

Zand

If you can swing it financially, I would do both foot beds and boots given the age of your boots. I'd probably go to Strands in Worcester living where you do.
I mean I'm saving over $400 switching from regular Ikon to Epic Local for next year so I guess that would be a wise thing to spend the savings on. I work about 7 minutes from Strands and have been in there before once or twice.

Has anyone here been to Strands for boots that has a good (or bad) word about how they did?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I grew up in Westboro and until I was 15, Strands is where my entire family went for boots. They are well known as some of the best boot fitters in New England and have been for decades.

ColdRain&Snow

I am a believer that custom foot beds are 100% the most impactful equipment purchase a skier can make. It's also perhaps the investment that has the most longevity. Provided you don't have major changes like I did, it's not unreasonable to expect to get 500 days out of custom foot beds. That's like 60 cents a day. Skis and boots themselves are pretty much toast after 125-150 days of use.

I went to gmol for new boots, this is my second season with them. He does the custom footbeds and also balances boots with thin metal wedges between the boot and sole.

When my wife went for boots he noticed one leg longer than the other and compensated for it in the balancing, and modifying the sole on one boot. She acknowledges she became a better skier immediately.

I agree proper boots make all the difference in the world.

BodeMiller1

Music no. Need to hear the skis tearing the snow, the ravins and wolves. They are children of the night. As I slip off the trail and crack a beer hit a pipe and dial up my eyes.

KustyTheKlown

lol

havent read thread.

posting in thread to say i need a 'narrow' ski. my narrowest current is my fischer ranger 102 pinkies. they are dunzo. topsheet separation going for like 6 inches and will not be held down by any epoxy. two tries to hold it together, both broke on first use after repair. it packs out with snow. its time to retire them

thinking about the elan ripstick 96 black edition for my east coast hardpack

this would put me in a 96, 106 (kastle FX), and 116 (kastle FX) quiver

tho a part of me is like hmmm more kastles in the 96?

marker whatever bindings on the pinkies will transfer over.

djd66

lol

havent read thread.

posting in thread to say i need a 'narrow' ski. my narrowest current is my fischer ranger 102 pinkies. they are dunzo. topsheet separation going for like 6 inches and will not be held down by any epoxy. two tries to hold it together, both broke on first use after repair. it packs out with snow. its time to retire them

thinking about the elan ripstick 96 black edition for my east coast hardpack

this would put me in a 96, 106 (kastle FX), and 116 (kastle FX) quiver

tho a part of me is like hmmm more kastles in the 96?

marker whatever bindings on the pinkies will transfer over.
I have the Elan Wingman 84 and I really like it. Great for east coast hard pack. They also ski great in pow and bumps.