• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountains A or B or C?? When you are limited to choosing between mountains on a Weekend or Day!!

MidnightJester

Sometimes its the Tickets you have. Sometimes it the Skiing and Riding partners you are with. Hopefully its due to a better SNOW storm or SNOW conditions at certain mountains and not crappy conditions. Here is where other can throw a little help or ideas?

This is a interesting weekend and Storm system to say the least. Have someone coming and meeting me up in VT to ride on SAT and SUN. The Sunday is open for Sothern VT.
If you had to ride between Stratton and Okemo and Mt Snow on Sunday. We are probably going to Killington on Sat. He wants to be near lower VT so he has a easier ride home. I am doing Magic on Friday hopefully.

I have never checked out most of Stratton's listed glades? Opinions on their glades? They should be in OK shape I hope after this Snow storm if it preforms.

Last edited:

skiur

Sometimes its the Tickets you have. Sometimes it the Skiing and Riding partners you are with. Hopefully its due to a better SNOW storm or SNOW conditions at certain mountains and not crappy conditions. Here is where other can throw a little help or ideas?

This is a interesting weekend and Storm system to say the least. Have someone coming and meeting me up in VT to ride on SAT and SUN. The Sunday is open for Sothern VT.
If you had to ride between Stratton and Okemo and Mt Snow on Sunday. We are probably going to Killington on Sat. He wants to be near lower VT so he has a easier ride home. I am doing Magic on Friday hopefully.

I have never checked out most of Stratton's listed glades? Opinions on their glades? They should be in OK shape I hope after this Snow storm if it preforms.

I haven't skied Stratton in close to 20 years, but I e thing I do remember is they had some pretty good woods when they get the snow, and very little traffic in them.

drjeff

Just as an FYI, this storm will NEED to perform to get the glades in decent shape. There wasn't a ton of base in them, across Southern VT, last weekend. The majority of what fell 2 weeks ago melted already, so you will need to get atleast 12", if not closer to 18" to get most of the under brush/water bars/etc covered with enough to not have to worry about causing a decent fall should you encounter something.

The storms of the last month or so across Southern VT, while they certainly made a BIG difference in keeping the season going, also melted a bit in between storms, and basically fell on little to no base on the natural snow terrain especially.

Just keep that in mind and be realistic, as you don't need to destroy a body part

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Just as an FYI, this storm will NEED to perform to get the glades in decent shape. There wasn't a ton of base in them, across Southern VT, last weekend. The majority of what fell 2 weeks ago melted already, so you will need to get atleast 12", if not closer to 18" to get most of the under brush/water bars/etc covered with enough to not have to worry about causing a decent fall should you encounter something.

Last storms of the last month or so across Southern VT, while they certainly made a BIG difference in keeping the season going, also melted a bit in between storms, and basically fell on little to no base on the natural snow terrain especially.

Just keep that in mind and be realistic, as you don't need to destroy a body part
I am realizing that they really need near the 18" to get most the glades in play. Southern VT is 80"-100" less then Middle-ish (Killington's 209")

Mount Snow 102"
Okemo 111"
Magic 113"
Stratton 127"

LuckyStrike

I was at Stratton last Saturday and the woods were holding snow better then the trails (esp those ones facing south). I didn't go in beacuse they were frozen when I got there and I had no interest in them late in the day. I think there's a good chance you'll be ok in marked glades. I wouldn't do too much bushwhacking however.