• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

thetrailboss

Staff member
So yes its confirmed Dan Egan is gone, no longer with Tenney.
will be interesting to see how they do in the off season !
Makes sense. Do one year to show them where the bathrooms are, where the lights are, etc. metaphorically speaking and then move on........

2planks2coasts

I pulled the trigger on a 24-25 pass. $350 with First Responder discount. The increase on 5/1 was $100 for the regular pass (to $499) and $50 for the discounted passes (to $399), so still a decent deal.

machski

Vendors have been bidding on snowmaking recently. 3 new electrics in main pumphouse, 2 in a new booster station halfway up Hornet. New feed line up Hornet, and new down line on Edelweiss.
Sounds like someone knows something about these systems. This at least sounds like things are going in the correct direction this restart.

IceEidolon

I know they went HKD last year - I assume the portable firepower would be shared between Eclipse and Hornet loops, but surely for ~two miles of new pipe there'll be at least some new permanent towers. 300' spacing on Edelweiss would be over 20 guns, and that's sparse. Will the new main pumps be able to serve both sides, or are we looking at a Magic style 400/300 loop split? Will there be a Hornet summit to Eclipse side snowmaking line? I figure being able to serve most of the mountain with just Hornet would be attractive for slow days.

If that's actually getting done in the near term, that's exactly the kind of expanded, reliable snowmaking they'll need to grow.

Newpylong

The new snowmaking manager who started just in March came from Loon and is knowledgeable. The new system was designed by Scott Barthold (Sno
.Matic/HKD) who is solid, I've worked with him.

Common header, 3 feeds (Eclipse, Hornet and Platter). It will be 12" from the base to the mid-hornet booster station and then 10" to the summit. They plan to repurpose that valve station into a booster station which should be interesting because it's a very small pit. If they fit all the pumps in there you're not going to be able to move.

Since they haven't ordered a thing yet it could run into December easily on the install. At the main pumphouse there is enough wet pit space for them to install one electric while they keep using the diesels to get open. Then they could switch over to the electric and rip the rest of the diesels out. They also don't have the electrical supply to run the new pumps as of now. They also need to add a 3rd tie in to the air for a third compressor since they'll have more water.

I'm honestly not sure what the plan is for guns yet. Some of the Vipers/Impulse sleds they have were purchased from Whaleback and are actually the guns we won from HKD /Sustainable Slopes grant. Besides being idiotic to sell them it's borderline unethical that they did that. But add that to my list.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Glad to hear they've got a good snowmaking lead, and the general system layout seems reasonable. I didn't know any of the Tenney HKD gear was bought used, and I'm also shocked Whaleback would let them go.
Two miles of trail with portables is old school and not an easy run - I've done long trails with Rats and 10' sleds, but I'd vastly prefer to have some permanent towers. The timeline is definitely tight, but it sounds like they'll be able to run the Eclipse loop in the early season whether the Hornet peak pans out or not.

Newpylong

I also forgot to mention I think the summit reservoir that was "supposed to start anytime" is either long term now or on hold indefinitely. Apparently the wind farm is not letting them use their access roads. Short term plan is to try to expand the current pond and optimize in flow. The vendors do have concerns that it's going to drain pretty quick when they move up into the 3K GPM range.

IceEidolon

What's their current reservoir, about two million gallons? And it's likely to take all of that to get both routes down Eclipse solid, or one route down Hornet.

IceEidolon

It's bigger than that, designed 6.5M.

So only 36 hours of running at peak capacity assuming it's full?
6k+6k + 4k+4k linear feet x 75' width = ~34 acres or between 6 and 7 million gallons at 1' deep. 3k GPM is one acre-foot per hour, theoretically. Unless I dropped a zero somewhere. Dumping the pond onto the hill at least gives plenty of room to retain more water...

Last edited:

urungus

Tenney Mountain recently informed the Plymouth Planning Board that its $30 million lodge project, which was scheduled to start this month, has been postponed for a few years so that the area can focus on snowmaking and other infrastructure. One lift that has been discussed recently is a high speed chairlift to replace the Hornet, which is a 1964 Stadeli double. A gondola may also be built in the future in conjunction with a hotel.”

Killingtime

Tenney Mountain recently informed the Plymouth Planning Board that its $30 million lodge project, which was scheduled to start this month, has been postponed for a few years so that the area can focus on snowmaking and other infrastructure. One lift that has been discussed recently is a high speed chairlift to replace the Hornet, which is a 1964 Stadeli double. A gondola may also be built in the future in conjunction with a hotel.”

Nice reality check. Hotel with gondola, hahaha? You ain't Stowe. Fix the mountain with a lift that was built sometime this century and some snowmaking so the trails aren't an ice fest.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Hmmmm...........

Is someone getting cold feet due to losing money this year? My concern would be credibility since they were full speed ahead on the lodge thing.

As a skier, snowmaking and lifts are more important to me than a $30 mill lodge. I previously said in this thread that the $30 mill lodge seemed excessive and wanted to see improvements in skiing infrastructure.

cdskier

Hmmmm...........

Is someone getting cold feet due to losing money this year? My concern would be credibility since they were full speed ahead on the lodge thing.

As a skier, snowmaking and lifts are more important to me than a $30 mill lodge. I previously said in this thread that the $30 mill lodge seemed excessive and wanted to see improvements in skiing infrastructure.

Maybe they simply came to their senses and realized that the skiing infrastructure itself is more critical than a new $30M lodge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe they simply came to their senses and realized that the skiing infrastructure itself is more critical than a new $30M lodge.
Hope so. I also hope that the 2024-2025 season is a success for them. We need more independent ski areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why do they need a new lodge at all? That was one of the nicer features about the place.

Snowmaking and lifts are the primary needs there. If nothing else, put a mid station on the Hornet

Newpylong

Egan is a dreamer and is no longer there. The owner himself is a pretty practical guy. No coincidence it was dropped.