• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

ThatGuy

KustyTheKlown

550 is fucking fucked. i was with friends in silverton but they live in denver and were leaving later. i had to drive myself from silverton to montrose airport at 4 AM in a snowstorm and fuck that

BenedictGomez

Honestly it doesn’t matter. There are no Olympic events/venues in LCC.
You mean they cant? For instance, I dont know if FIS rules have changed in the last 20+ years, but I'd hope they move the downhill from Snowbasin to somewhere in Park City or BCC/LCC if they can. I mean, they let the Chinese do an entire course on man-made snow at 7,000 feet and less. Granted, everyone always breaks every rule for China, but still..

thetrailboss

Staff member
You mean they cant? For instance, I dont know if FIS rules have changed in the last 20+ years, but I'd hope they move the downhill from Snowbasin to somewhere in Park City or BCC/LCC if they can. I mean, they let the Chinese do an entire course on man-made snow at 7,000 feet and less. Granted, everyone always breaks every rule for China, but still..
So, Snowbird DID want to host the downhill. In fact, on Peruvian side you can ski the "Middle" Men's Downhill. They wanted to make the course on Peruvian side. Due to avalanche, security (one road in and out), and politics (Earl Holding was LDS and politically connected) Snowbird never got the deal. I doubt that they would have a shot because Snowbasin is pretty much ready to go.

BenedictGomez

Snowbird never got the deal. I doubt that they would have a shot because Snowbasin is pretty much ready to go.

It was announced today that discussions are already underway for 2034 event locations and not a single thing is under consideration for LCC or BCC. Sounds like much of everything will be similar to 2002.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was announced today that discussions are already underway for 2034 event locations and not a single thing is under consideration for LCC or BCC. Sounds like much of everything will be similar to 2002.
Yeah, 2030 AND 2034 look to be in SLC. The IOC apparently wants to use the same venue. Nobody else wants to host the winter games.

I read below that apparently Snowbasin is not as interested in hosting again. That seems odd.

jimmywilson69

That document is dripping with NIMBYism

Didn't they or won't they in the future have to do an Environmental Impact statement (EIS)? The answer is yes. If they can't get through that phase, and they may not as public opposition is a key component to an EISs approval, then it doesn't get built. While I'm sure the are parts of the canyon that are "untouched" there is a highway, 2 large ski areas, the town of Alta, and numerous other private structures throughout the canyon (based on Google Maps). Its not some pristine wilderness area that someone is applying for the first ever in this location permit to build something.

This just smells like people want less people at the ski areas and back country "stashes"

drjeff

That document is dripping with NIMBYism

Didn't they or won't they in the future have to do an Environmental Impact statement (EIS)? The answer is yes. If they can't get through that phase, and they may not as public opposition is a key component to an EISs approval, then it doesn't get built. While I'm sure the are parts of the canyon that are "untouched" there is a highway, 2 large ski areas, the town of Alta, and numerous other private structures throughout the canyon (based on Google Maps). Its not some pristine wilderness area that someone is applying for the first ever in this location permit to build something.

This just smells like people want less people at the ski areas and back country "stashes"
Ther greater SLC NIMBY crowd is going to have a meltdown over what happens if the 2034 Winter Olympic games are awarded to the City as it seems like may happen

Last edited:

djd66

Ther greater SLC NIMBY crowd is going to have a meltdown over what happens if the 2024 Winter Olympic games are awarded to the City as it seems like may happen
I assume you mean 2034

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ther greater SLC NIMBY crowd is going to have a meltdown over what happens if the 2034 Winter Olympic games are awarded to the City as it seems like may happen
Probably not. They are going to use existing infrastructure.

4aprice

Salt Lake needs a new Hockey Arena. The Maverick Center is too small and the Delta Center is pretty much Basketball only. A new arena, maybe a NHL team (natural rivals with Denver and Vegas). Yotes maybe??

thetrailboss

Staff member
Salt Lake needs a new Hockey Arena. The Maverick Center is too small and the Delta Center is pretty much Basketball only. A new arena, maybe a NHL team (natural rivals with Denver and Vegas). Yotes maybe??
The Maverik Center (yes, that is how they spell it) is pretty dated. We were just there for a concert and I could not believe how shopworn/dated it was.

There is a push for a possible NHL and MLB expansion. As to the former, SLC is still not a hockey town. We went to the University of Utah's "Club" Hockey Team for a few seasons and it was pretty meh compared to hockey in New England. The local youth programs are pretty small. We're close enough to Vegas (their team just won the Cup) and Denver that folks can easily go there for games. I see any expansion team ending the same way as the one in Phoenix--in receivership. There is just not enough interest yet.

As to the latter, from what I have read, NOBODY in the MLB is taking this seriously. Most players did not highly rank SLC as a desirable place to play let alone even know of it. The truth is that the recent "MLB Expansion Craze" came about after the local minor league team announced that it was leaving SLC for one of the small suburbs. So the mayor needed to deflect as it was an election year.

drjeff

Probably not. They are going to use existing infrastructure.

When does the IOC and whatveer local organizing committee that is hosting a games, decide to not completely use existing venues (and arguably SLC has the most "modern" venues of any city that has hosted the games in decades, if not ever)?

I know that the alpine, nordic, ski jumping, bobsled/luge, are all in good shape, but has already been brought up the skating/hockey facilities, potentially a larger opening/closing ceremonies venue (is the U of Utah stadium or the MLS stadium really adequate enough for the modern day IOC??) and then there's the entire issue of athlete housing.

Ultimately, even with a bunch of competiton venues in condition to host world class events currently with minimal prep, when the Olympics come to town, it's the potential for hundreds of millions, and even sometimes, billions in construction contracts in play that will be both tough for some to resists as well as increase the ire of the NIMBY folks.

At the end of the day now, it's quite easy to look at the 2002 SLC games as the major catalyst that set the major growth in the region over the last 2 decades or so in motion, and if they get awarded the 2034 games, probably an economic engine to power the next phase(s) of growth in the area for better or worse

BenedictGomez

Salt Lake needs a new Hockey Arena. The Maverick Center is too small

The Maverik Center is what's in the 2034 bid package as the location for ice hockey. Seats 12,000. Small by NHL standards, but not unheard of for Olympic hockey.

Ryan Smith (rich techy Mormon dude) does want to bring an NHL team to Utah, but the NHL currently has no expansion plans at the moment. If they ever do, certainly I presume Las Vegas will be the #1 most opposed to a SLC team.

BenedictGomez

SLC is still not a hockey town.

SLC is young, affluent, educated, white, and one of the fastest-growing cities in America. If it's not a hockey town, it's only because it doesnt realize it yet!
It basically hits every key demo the NHL actively seeks, and it's increasingly being populated by people from natural long-standing hockey markets. IMO selling 13,000 ST could probably be done today without even marketing, probably easily, and the NHL is a gate-driven league.