• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

Internet Ski Pro

it would be interesting to see what cars they used for comparison. and trust me, im not fully on one side or the other when it comes to EV's. Im a car guy, and i like all kinds of cars. but any information about any subject can be skewed any way one person would like to see it. Some people might just really want to own a Porshe EV, and dont care one lick about what it cost, or if they are saving the planet one car at a time. they just want to go zipping around in a high priced EV. so be it. if they want to drive a car powered by pig poop, im all for it.

this was kind of interesting that i saw just now on Yahoo.
the net-net on this, is we should be able to compete with China on a comparable car. do i think it would be great to see this car sold in the US? no. lets make one here. the article says ford has "taken notice".
Some time in the 90's GM made a fairly simple EV, it went about 70 miles on a charge. there are lots of people that a car like that fits. basic transportation for daily commuting. it got killed for one reason or another. but it proves we can do it.
i dont believe for a minute that this 2035 thing with EV's only in certain states will come true. or work.

BodeMiller1

Im gonna have to ask my dad, but im pretty sure he worked on Seabrook in some way. Based on when it was completed, it was likely he was working for an engineering firm that was doing some kind of work. My father loved nukes. so much that there was a family vacation to NH, and i am almost positive we saw some submarines, and went for some type of tour at Seabrook. Having some flashbacks also about my mom possibly wanting to divorce my dad on that trip..........i dont think my mom was into subs and nukes for some reason.
It is not possible for a light water reactor to melt down. Assuming the pumps don't fail, and water is able to be circulate. The best thing to come out of Seabrook was I would hitch hike Concord to Durham and got picked up by someone working there. He was being drug tested and gave me his weed from his truck.

Another problem is the heat from the plant warming the bay of Maine. Although in the real world this effect is negligible. Then there's the issue of getting rid of the waste. Not much of an issue until there is one.

edit: One of my UNH professors last name Winn if I recall, played a part in the design. Politics and Technology or something.

1dog

it would be interesting to see what cars they used for comparison. and trust me, im not fully on one side or the other when it comes to EV's. Im a car guy, and i like all kinds of cars. but any information about any subject can be skewed any way one person would like to see it. Some people might just really want to own a Porshe EV, and dont care one lick about what it cost, or if they are saving the planet one car at a time. they just want to go zipping around in a high priced EV. so be it. if they want to drive a car powered by pig poop, im all for it.

this was kind of interesting that i saw just now on Yahoo.
the net-net on this, is we should be able to compete with China on a comparable car. do i think it would be great to see this car sold in the US? no. lets make one here. the article says ford has "taken notice".
Some time in the 90's GM made a fairly simple EV, it went about 70 miles on a charge. there are lots of people that a car like that fits. basic transportation for daily commuting. it got killed for one reason or another. but it proves we can do it.
i dont believe for a minute that this 2035 thing with EV's only in certain states will come true. or work.
If its truly a free market- heck ya - pig poop fuel or EV's. Its no ones business until it is - via subsidies from the US taxpayer. Forget they are the most polluting, least convenient, and pushed as some sort of an answer to ' the stuff we exhale and plants inhale'. How many would be sold if no subsidies? China is all government, all the time - those are not free-market EV companies that see a need and try to fill it. Once again, here are the quotes. . . from the turn of the last century:

“The electric automobile will quickly and easily take precedence over all other kinds of motor carriages as soon as an effective battery of light weight is discovered.”
That’s the Los Angeles Times in 1901. How about this one?

“Prices on electric cars will continue to drop until they are within reach of the average family.”
That’s the Washington Post, 1915.

Hawk

I watch all the back an forth from both side of this argument. It is so polarized and I think neither side has any chance of convincing the other.

So.... with that lets all just face the inevetable and let it go. Nothing is going to slow the process of the warming surface and water temeratures. That is fact not fiction. I stongly believe that the growing population on the planet and industrialization has sped up the process however it was always going to happen. There was never a way to stop it going forward. And now it's just too late and the damage has been done. No way around that especially because the fix needed to happen about 100 years ago before the massive upturn of fosil fule burning machinery and factories. People need to face the fact that your children will live in a world that will have increased natural disasters, droughts, failure of fisheries, etc. And none of us on here will be around to do anything. We will be long gone and in the ground.

There.... hows that for reality. Enjoy your cofee.

BodeMiller1

I watch all the back an forth from both side of this argument. It is so polarized and I think neither side has any chance of convincing the other.

So.... with that lets all just face the inevetable and let it go. Nothing is going to slow the process of the warming surface and water temeratures. That is fact not fiction. I stongly believe that the growing population on the planet and industrialization has sped up the process however it was always going to happen. There was never a way to stop it going forward. And now it's just too late and the damage has been done. No way around that especially because the fix needed to happen about 100 years ago before the massive upturn of fosil fule burning machinery and factories. People need to face the fact that your children will live in a world that will have increased natural disasters, droughts, failure of fisheries, etc. And none of us on here will be around to do anything. We will be long gone and in the ground.

There.... hows that for reality. Enjoy your cofee.
Agree, across the board. It's pathetic this has been so polerized. When the ski world depends on it.

2Planker

That's why they're having a real hard time trying to sell those Cranmore 600K condos....
In 10 years I dunno if Cranmore will be in the picture anymore....

BodeMiller1

The current administration is slapping China with a 100% tariff on EV imports.
IMHO a great move because they're dumping them on the US with slave labor and cheap parts. Meow

2Planker

The current administration is slapping China with a 100% tariff on EV imports.
IMHO a great move because they're dumping them on the US with slave labor and cheap parts. Meow

OUCH the Volvo Polestars are made in China
The bigger blow is on the Solar componentry, Steel & Aluminium, along with Medical equipment and Microchips

Last edited:

Smellytele

Then there is this…