• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

drjeff

Too bad neither of you will take advantage of it since you're not locals.
Not so sure, maybe not next year, but possibly soon.

Friends of my wife and I just got back a bout 10 days ago from 5 days in St. Moritz and were raving about how great it was and how nice the town was (I actually wen there on a Highschool Springbreak Trip as part of a tour of the Alps back in the late 80's and remember thinking what a cool town it was - no skiing on that trip for me) and my wife is also interested in going, as are our kids.... Now if their Spring Break weeks line up next year... Maybe it might happen sooner than later

drjeff

We did Chamonix 3 times. I could easily be persuaded to hit St Moritz…
Rumor per the Storm Skiing Podcast's Stuart Winchester, is that Vail is actively looking at buying/entering into an agreement with Verbier!

The mega passes are likely into their European acquisition cycle now to tap into that BIG market..

Going to likely be using my airline points in the coming years thinking about traveling East across the Atlantic to Europe to ski as much as going West to the rockies to ski!

abc

Rumor per the Storm Skiing Podcast's Stuart Winchester, is that Vail is actively looking at buying/entering into an agreement with Verbier!

The mega passes are likely into their European acquisition cycle now to tap into that BIG market..

Going to likely be using my airline points in the coming years thinking about traveling East across the Atlantic to Europe to ski as much as going West to the rockies to ski!
In a public statement, Verbier had announce they’re not interested.

Of course, it maybe an indication for Vail to increase their bidding price.;)

Tin Woodsman

One of my adult children is moving to Jakarta for two years. If I visit next winter I could see breaking up the trip by skiing in the Alps coming or going. Anybody here use their Ikon pass in Europe. Was it a smooth RFID transaction?
Used it last month in Zermatt. Was way smoother and more reliable than skiing at an Alterra owned resort like Mammoth. Absolutely seamless integration with IKON using more advanced tech than I’ve seen in the States.

abc

Used it last month in Zermatt. Was way smoother and more reliable than skiing at an Alterra owned resort like Mammoth. Absolutely seamless integration with IKON using more advanced tech than I’ve seen in the States.
The European ski resorts had been using RFID widely a good 10 years before the US resorts.

Tin Woodsman

That's what Boyne is doing.
100%.

When I was in Zermatt it felt like I was skiing 20 yrs in the future. Among the 15 or so lifts I rode there, there were just 3 chairs, all high-speed and built within the last 4-6 years. The rest were a mix of modern gondolas, trams and S3s that absolutely blew my mind. The amount of capital European ski resorts put into their lift fleet is unbelievable, especially when considering that they capture such a smaller portion of the visitor dollar by not having a monopoly on F&B, ski school etc...

If that is Boyne's aspiration, and I agree it sure seems like it, then sign me up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
100%.

When I was in Zermatt it felt like I was skiing 20 yrs in the future. Among the 15 or so lifts I rode there, there were just 3 chairs, all high-speed and built within the last 4-6 years. The rest were a mix of modern gondolas, trams and S3s that absolutely blew my mind. The amount of capital European ski resorts put into their lift fleet is unbelievable, especially when considering that they capture such a smaller portion of the visitor dollar by not having a monopoly on F&B, ski school etc...

If that is Boyne's aspiration, and I agree it sure seems like it, then sign me up.
That was absolutely my impression when I skied Zermatt in 2017. New gondolas, new bubble chairs, new trams to replace old ones, etc. I skied at a locals place called Flumserberg. They had a NEW eight-person bubble chair--about two years before Big Sky. This was in addition to new detach six and quad chairs. They had two gondolas. And this is a local town ski area. I think it's important to note that most of these ski areas are usually a form of public-private partnerships, so public transportation dollars are accessible for construction. Hell, the SBB system map used to INCLUDE trams, funiculars, etc. Even those at ski areas.

The only place I have skied that comes even close to these Swiss areas is Big Sky. And that is because Stephen Kircher has made it publicly known (the latest on Winchester's podcast) that he intends to up the lift game as a way to draw business. Since Ramcharger-8, Kircher has installed D-lines at Sunday River, Brighton, Big Sky, and even his areas in Michigan. The Crest 6 at Brighton is a gamechanger IMHO. They could have gone cheap but they did not.

And while Alterra has done some lift improvements, their focus has been on acquisition of areas and marketshare. Perhaps because of the number of lifts they have, they are only installing current or older technology and not cutting edge stuff. Additionally, they are doing some unnecessary lift installs that are I think wasteful at Steamboat and Deer Valley. The latest HSQ at Deer Valley starts at nowhere and ends at nowhere and is literally a 2-minute ride.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As heard at Alterra HQ this season:

"So what are we thinking about lift improvements?"
"Well, North Ridge at Sugarbush is on its last legs...."
"Nah, we've got to go bigger."
"Well, then there is Super Bravo that is almost 30 years old--"
"No, who cares about Sugarbush? I think we go bigger. Like bubble six at Deer Valley."
"Oh, OK. Yeah, let's replace Silver Lake Express as it's getting on."
"No, I've got a better idea--let's go to a new peak. But we can only afford a short lift. That's it!"

The lift will be a 3-minute ride. The terrain faces west. :rolleyes::dontknow:🤦‍♂️

WTAF??!!

Last edited:

raisingarizona

BenedictGomez

The lift will be a 3-minute ride. The terrain faces west. :rolleyes::dontknow:🤦‍♂️

WTAF??!!

Park City's going to spend millions to replace little Sunrise with an expensive gondola that terminates higher up near RPL, even though there are multiple lifts from the 1970s, and like a dozen from the 1990s at PC & Canyons. which would clearly benefit from upgrade. Makes no sense, just a "real estate lift" IMHO.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

reads like a commercial with a happy ending supporting the ski area

Yeah, they basically confirm the, "they can abuse us as much as they want & we'll still pay" narrative.

Still, I'm glad they both agree ski resort paid parking is just an excuse for a big cash grab rather than truly being a crowd solution (or environmental, which is even more insufferable).