• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Homemade Trailmap

Skimaine4ever

Website
www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com

ctenidae

Trail maps overall aren't good for much of anything beyond "Keep turning left" or "Just follow the lift line".
I'd really like to see some topos with trails accurately marked. Best I've seen have the lifts lined out, but that's it.

What's with the trail map Big Squaw uses? They can't afford a color Xerox?

Skimaine4ever

Website
billski said:

Those are cool. I wanted to make something where you could see the topography of the mountain, but I dont have a mapping program. Although I do have a GPS I dont know If i could set it up to my computer to get a good view of Squaw. Another trail map Squaw uses is this one...http://www.snocountry.com/trail_maps/large_trail_maps/207010.jpg That picture was taken awhile ago though, before some trails and glades were cut.

blacknblue

I've never gone so far as to make my own map, but I definitely alter maps. I like to make little notations and symbols to remind me where I found a good tree run, unmarked run, powder cache, etc. There are a lot of un-mapped routes out there!
I do the same for my hiking maps, noting places that would work for camping, good water sources, swimming holes, etc.

cbcbd

Skimaine4ever said:
Am I the only one who trys to make better looking trailmaps then the ones they actually have at the ski areas. I recently made this one of Big Squaw, to use on my site because theres is so lame. Let me know what you think of it and any comments or suggestion for it.
Thanks
Heres the link to the one I made...
http://bigsquawmountain.4t.com/whats_new.html

And heres the link to the one they use at the mountain...http://newenglandskiresorts.com/gfx/trailmaps/me12tm01f.jpg
Wow, that map is awful!!! - The one they have on their site ;)

I guess if had a 3D topo program you could easily take screen shots and then add trails to the image.

Paul

Yours is much better than theirs.

I use a combination of Garmin US Topo software for my GPS, and Keyhole. Keyhole is nice because it uses sattelite images and has a 3d topo feature so you can see the pitch etc...

smootharc

Always thought MRG's topo line map...

...was very useful. Topographic information is essential to understanding the nature of a trail.

An incredible map would be topographic lines on what this guy did for Breckenridge (this was linked in a post in a different thread).

http://www.vwaldmaps.com/breck.htm

I still have a custom map of MRG's "secret stashes" which I cajoled a buddy into giving me if I promised never to....so, no cajoling ! :lol:

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com

I still have a custom map of MRG's "secret stashes" which I cajoled a buddy into giving me if I promised never to....so, no cajoling !

That old thing? Yeah, I think I've got the same one. It's been floating around these boards for years. Just to sure, why don't you email it to me so I can compare? (Damn, it was worth a try.)

Skimaine4ever

Website
KingM said:
You should send it to the webmaster. They'll probably put it up and be grateful.

I like the interactive map at Sugarbush.

I did send it to them, but they never seem to reply to e-mails. Go figure :-? But theres is definetly horrible its not even accurate in some areas and doesnt list all the trails. I listed all the trails and some glades but there are alot more glades at Squaw then what I show on mine.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
billski said:

When I was in Kitzbuehel the map was essentially usefull to see what town you dumped out into.
There was a mountain there called Kitz horn, we skiied it on a whim as the map shows only one beginner run.
It turns out that the one beginner run accessed some of the steepest deepest untouched pow I have ever seen.
Homemade maps are the way to go.

Skifastsailfast

skimaine4ever... just found your site. Nice job with it! I might have some photos for you. I'll have to dig thru my files and see what I can come up with.

But seriously, about the trail map (and yours is great btw), did you really expect to hear a reply from big squaw's webmaster? The place is gasping for air with just the triple running, and even when the double was running, they never did any real pormotion. Gotta laugh (actually, cry) at the Sel Hanna quote at www.bigsquawmountain.com... talking about the scenic views from the Penobscot trail, which isn't even lift serviced this year.

I've skied big squaw for nearly 20 years and would love to see the place come back, but I'm not holding my breath. Been disappointed too many times. My last day there was last spring, on a Saturday, the day they were burning down the old ski patrol hut. It was kind of foggy and gloomy, there was hardly any one there, I was so bored and depressed that I went home a day early that weekend. It was the following day - Sunday - that the double broke.

Couldn't bear the thought of a season skiing nothing but the lower mountain, so a bunch of us got the ASC bronze pass this year. Still, I'd come back to Big Squaw in a heartbeat if the place were fixed up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
billski said:

Yes, those are nice maps. I also thought that skimaine4ever did a nice map...real nice.

James Niehaus has a great job...he does the trail maps for places like Sugarbush and Jay's new one (I think). Saw a display at the Boston Ski Show that diagramed how he makes his maps...pretty cool! I'm a ski map junkie! :wink:

Treeliner

thetrailboss said:
James Niehaus has a great job...he does the trail maps for places like Sugarbush and Jay's new one (I think). Saw a display at the Boston Ski Show that diagramed how he makes his maps...pretty cool! I'm a ski map junkie! :wink:

James Niehaus does the nicest trail maps in my opinion; a lot of the bigger resorts use him.