• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats peak

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I drove past Pat's yesterday (12/6/22) on my way home from Sunapee, and saw whales, but no skiable path anywhere. If they opened, what runs were they skiing on? Snocountry.com indicates they are re-opening on 12/9.

thebigo

I drove past Pat's yesterday (12/6/22) on my way home from Sunapee, and saw whales, but no skiable path anywhere. If they opened, what runs were they skiing on? Snocountry.com indicates they are re-opening on 12/9.

The pictures in post #11 of this thread were taken last weekend. They had cyclone off the hurricane triple, turbulence off the valley double. Also two carpets full of kids with an obstacle course off the longer carpet.

Must have been the angle you were looking. Coverage was good, cannot imagine they lost enough snow for bare ground on any of the open terrain. I get that we are 50 miles north but i can personally attest that loon lost minimal snow from mon to weds, with no terrain contraction.

NYDB

I’ve done a few 24 hr mtb races at pats peak. Never been in winter, but this thread is interesting. This mountain seems to have discovered the secret sauce or something. make snow like a big mountain and still do well. Super low altitude, relatively southern, and still creates a great product consistently. Steep enough small mountain.

SLyardsale

the vail employee from crotched always seems defensive in the pats peak thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
I’ve done a few 24 hr mtb races at pats peak. Never been in winter, but this thread is interesting. This mountain seems to have discovered the secret sauce or something. make snow like a big mountain and still do well. Super low altitude, relatively southern, and still creates a great product consistently. Steep enough small mountain.
That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. The Patenaude Family bought the mountain in 1962 or so and built the place with their bare hands. Opened in 1963 with a lodge built out of wood they cut on the mountain. The family has a construction business so that helps. After a few seasons they tried snowmaking. In 1972 they went all-in on snowmaking in a big way (before the disastrous seasons that were to come for other places) by drilling multiple wells (7 to be exact) and a ginormous air compressor from a closed auto factory. When the US Ski Nationals couldn’t be held anywhere else in 1974, guess who had snowmaking? These guys. They hosted the event.

Since then they’ve done incremental improvements, kept debt low if any at all, provided great service, have been in an area that has seen population growth, are an easy drive from Boston, and are small and local.

I was a pass holder there in 2003-2005. Inexpensive, easy drive from my first place in Boston, great service, nightriding, and fun. The manager is super responsive to feedback (he took the AZ Challenges back in the day and ACTUALLY implemented the ideas before my eyes). The snowmaking then was impressive—like almost Sunday River good. Plenty of hydrants, staff, equipment, and coverage. No skimping. They squeeze every ounce of skiing out of that small mountain. And it is steep.

They’ve got multiple niches—local place, beginners, nightriding, racing, reasonably priced, great base lodges, etc.

So some of it was luck, part hard work, part very good decisionmaking, and part just staying true to what they are.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
the vail employee from crotched always seems defensive in the pats peak thread
I assume you're talking about me and my posting above that read, "I drove past Pat's yesterday (12/6/22) on my way home from Sunapee, and saw whales, but no skiable path anywhere. If they opened, what runs were they skiing on? Snocountry.com indicates they are re-opening on 12/9."

Not sure what you see as defensive about that. In a world with over 600 nelsap ski areas, I commend Pat's Peak for the fine product they provide the skiing community. I've worked in the ski industry (as a hobby) since the 1978-9 season. Regardless of whom my paycheck came from, I always felt I worked for the ski industry as a whole and not a specific mountain.

In more recent years, the multi-area conglomerates seem more focused on competition than cooperation. While it may be good for stockholders, I'm not sure it's good for the industry as a whole.

thebigo

How good is Pat's Peak snowmaking really? 24 of 28 trails open. I don't see anyone else even close. I guess it's time to redeem an Indy day this weekend.
FYI - race at pats on Sunday has upwards of 250 families registered from across the state. Will be an early crowd and lodge will be jammed. SL on twister.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If you base it on SnoCountry.com as of 12/29/23, of the NH areas, Pat's is hands-down #1 at 86%. Next are King Pine at 47% and Crotched Mountain at 46%. Loon at 40%, is the only one of "the big boys" at 40% or over.

It's been a challenging autumn for all of New England and not much in the current weather forecast to provide optimism for the next weeks. The winners under these conditions will always be the ones with the biggest snowmaking systems (i.e. largest gallons per minute per acre).

Newpylong

Pat's snowmaking is exceptional, they drop the hammer. When everyone else was dumping money into lifts Blomback put it into snowmaking, and then more snowmaking. In 2015 when everyone was having problems opening they were able to come out of nowhere even being so far south.

eatskisleep

Pate Peak is a top notch operation. No HSQ’s yet everything just “works”. Something for everyone. Lack of very but still some decent steeps. Best snowmaking around. Blows vail away. Would love to see them buy and operate Black of N.H.

Bratwurst

Pate Peak is a top notch operation. No HSQ’s yet everything just “works”. Something for everyone. Lack of very but still some decent steeps. Best snowmaking around. Blows vail away. Would love to see them buy and operate Black of N.H.
I'd love to see Black Mt. come back but Pat's peak is a feeder hill close to major metro areas and there is lots of competition for skier's $ in the MWV. Who competes with Pat's Peak? Sunapee? Ragged? And then there are the owners. From what I've heard, the owners of the Pat's Peak and Black Mt. are polar opposites

Newpylong

I'd love to see Black Mt. come back but Pat's peak is a feeder hill close to major metro areas and there is lots of competition for skier's $ in the MWV. Who competes with Pat's Peak? Sunapee? Ragged? And then there are the owners. From what I've heard, the owners of the Pat's Peak and Black Mt. are polar opposites
Crotched as well.

Yes, Black is going to be an exercise in going broke for whomever buys it. There were about a dozen people for opening day.