• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Radical Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

highpeaksdrifter

Comment on other's predictions or make your own and back it up.

Since the predictions will be radical and invite severe criticism, thick skins are required.

Here's mine: In 3 years time Whiteface Mountain will be the clear #1 ski destination in the East.

Here’s why: Whiteface is undergoing an extensive multi-year expansion. It is opening up major new terrain on what’s called the Tree Island Pod. It will have it’s own quad. This area will have a 60 plus acre glade... that's nearly six times the amount of current glades at WF, miles of new trails (blue and black), and improvements to snowmaking capacity.

Major infrastructure improvements are taking place right now; The Kids Kampus lodge is doubling in size with a new parking lot and more snowmaking is being added.

All this added to an already great mountain, plus the best ski town in the East, Lake Placid.

Whatya think of that?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Comment on other's predictions or make your own and back it up.

Since the predictions will be radical and invite severe criticism, thick skins are required.

Here's mine: In 3 years time Whiteface Mountain will be the clear #1 ski destination in the East.

Here’s why: Whiteface is undergoing an extensive multi-year expansion. It is opening up major new terrain on what’s called the Tree Island Pod. It will have it’s own quad. This area will have a 60 plus acre glade... that's nearly six times the amount of current glades at WF, miles of new trails (blue and black), and improvements to snowmaking capacity.

Major infrastructure improvements are taking place right now; The Kids Kampus lodge is doubling in size with a new parking lot and more snowmaking is being added.

All this added to an already great mountain, plus the best ski town in the East, Lake Placid.

Whatya think of that?
LaughinDog.jpg

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
having never skied whiteface, i can not comment on your choice of #1 ski destination in the east. but i can comment on the idea overall of suggesting any single ski area is overall number one for a geographical region: i don't buy it. different strokes for different folks and depending upon personal preferences, several different ski areas could be considered top choices. so imo, there is no such thing as a #1 ski destination in the east although there are a solid amount of contenders depending upon personal preferences, finances, and location.

2knees

Denton, home of Avalanche. Man they just got to market that shit better and the hordes will descend upon them in record numbers.

Problem i see with whiteface is simple location. Its too far from metro boston/new york with so many other options markedly closer.

I'll say sugarbush.....lol kidding.

If you're talking total skier visits, i'll say in 3 years it'll be okemo, if they arent already there now. I dont know their numbers. If you're talking "vacation packages" sold. Not sure. Stowe and Sugarbush have both upgraded their infastructure so they might be possibilities. Maybe Loon if the expansion comes through. I would assume right now Killington is #1 in some way shape or form.

awf170

The problem with Whiteface is that they don't actually get snow. What do they get like 120 inches? Every ski area in central and northern vermont get double the snow as Whiteface. Even Wildcat, Saddleback, and Sugarloaf blow them away.

highpeaksdrifter

Problem i see with whiteface is simple location. Its too far from metro boston/new york with so many other options markedly closer.
I'll say sugarbush.....lol kidding.

If you're talking total skier visits, i'll say in 3 years it'll be okemo, if they arent already there now. I dont know their numbers. If you're talking "vacation packages" sold. Not sure. Stowe and Sugarbush have both upgraded their infastructure so they might be possibilities. Maybe Loon if the expansion comes through. I would assume right now Killington is #1 in some way shape or form.

Drive time from NYC

Okemo 4 hrs 30 m
Whiteface 4 hrs 40 m
Killington 5 hrs
Sugarbush 5 hrs 30 m
Stowe 6 hrs 15 m

Another nice thing about driving up to WF from NYC is all but 25 minutes in Thurway then Northway.

highpeaksdrifter

The problem with Whiteface is that they don't actually get snow. What do they get like 120 inches? Every ski area in central and northern vermont get double the snow as Whiteface. Even Wildcat, Saddleback, and Sugarloaf blow them away.

Wildcat - their web site says 200 + inches
Saddleback - 200 in
Sugarloaf - 194 in
Whiteface -168 in

The 3 you mention all get more, but I don't think blown away.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Drive time from NYC

Okemo 4 hrs 30 m
Whiteface 4 hrs 40 m
Killington 5 hrs
Sugarbush 5 hrs 30 m
Stowe 6 hrs 15 m

Another nice thing about driving up to WF from NYC is all but 25 minutes in Thurway then Northway.

But the difference between driving to Whiteface and Killington is the fact that you have Okemo and Sugarbush a short distance away, variety. What other mountains do you have near Whiteface, Gore? That's one reason I haven't been to Whiteface yet, as much as I would like to check it out, there's more variety going to VT.

awf170

Wildcat - their web site says 200 + inches
Saddleback - 200 in
Sugarloaf - 194 in
Whiteface -168 in

The 3 you mention all get more, but I don't think blown away.

Wow. 168, that isn't too bad. I thought it was in the low 100's. Probably about equal to Cannon, which is pretty good. Actually, I pretty much think of Whiteface as bigger Cannon. Anyone who has actually been there agree?

highpeaksdrifter

having never skied whiteface, i can not comment on your choice of #1 ski destination in the east. but i can comment on the idea overall of suggesting any single ski area is overall number one for a geographical region: i don't buy it. different strokes for different folks and depending upon personal preferences, several different ski areas could be considered top choices. so imo, there is no such thing as a #1 ski destination in the east although there are a solid amount of contenders depending upon personal preferences, finances, and location.

Then there's no such thing as a #1 destination anywhere for anything.

Come on Oil, tell me I'm wrong, call me an A-hole, but stop with the wishy washy non-statements. I'm use to better from you.

2knees

Drive time from NYC

Okemo 4 hrs 30 m
Whiteface 4 hrs 40 m
Killington 5 hrs
Sugarbush 5 hrs 30 m
Stowe 6 hrs 15 m

lol, i'll sit down now.

never assume you know anything is the lesson i'll take from this. I didnt know WF was so close to the thruway.

highpeaksdrifter

But the difference between driving to Whiteface and Killington is the fact that you have Okemo and Sugarbush a short distance away, variety. What other mountains do you have near Whiteface, Gore? That's one reason I haven't been to Whiteface yet, as much as I would like to check it out, there's more variety going to VT.

OK, but I wrote #1 ski destination.

BTW- Burlington Vt. is 2 hours from WF, so it's not completely out of range from Northern Vt. areas.

highpeaksdrifter

HPD...I respect your unabashed support of Whiteface but #1 in the east........

SRO, I've respected what you write since you where Bushwacker on RSN, but tell me why I'm wrong.

Anyways, I'm just tryin to get something going. This is a fun discussion for me, but I hope someone else makes a radical prediction on this thread tomorrow.

awf170

Lately I can't even tell the difference between threads. I think all we need is one giant thread. This about sums everything up:

• HPD claims of Whitefaces awesomeness.
  • Lots of people say they have to get there, but it is too far.
  • HPD proves the New Yorkers wrong, showing how it closer then K-mart.
  • Someone says Sugarbush is better and it will be the most popular ski area in the ease soon.
  • I come out with some random stat, that I pretty much just made up at the moment of the post, and it gets proved wrong in the next post.
  • I try to make up some more random crap to regain my dignity, but end up failing even worse. I don't talk again unless someone mentions Wildcat, which never happens.
  • Trailboss states why Burke is the best destination, and offers up a tour.
  • Andyzee tries to be funny, but usually just ends up talking about what he hopes the next item on SAC is going to be.
  • Marc, says some totally random and out context, but it is ussually quite funny.
  • Cen10, makes Marc comment into something gay and childish.
  • Riverc0il questions the authority and true meaning of the question and writes a really long post about it. He is almost always right, but it drives us nuts.
  • Bvibert, provides us with 19 threads and google hits about the same exact thing.
  • AHM tells how some mountains in like Greenland or something, and his fat skis are better than Whiteface.
  • Greg tries to get the thread back on track but fails.
  • No one really has any idea what the thread is about until nightingale bumps it about 3 years later.
Anyone have anything to add. I must have missed something.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Then there's no such thing as a #1 destination anywhere for anything.

Come on Oil, tell me I'm wrong, call me an A-hole, but stop with the wishy washy non-statements. I'm use to better from you.
piss off man, i stand by my comments and others who have been around for a while will note they are consistant with my previous remarks on the subject. that wasn't a dodge on my part in regards to whiteface, i simply stated that there can't be a number one destination so your postulation doesn't mean much to me to begin with. i may just have to call you an A-hole for calling me wishy washy though ;) you are right, there is not #1 destination any where for anything... but i would be up to suggesting there are certain top ski areas for certain things people are looking for. you want night life, killington or somewhere basing out of burlington. you want powder, northern greens. you want killer vert, above tree line/slides, and great base areas, whiteface and loaf are right up there. #1 destination any where? c'mon, no mountain has half the bases covered that well, let alone all of them. my favorite areas included. same with yours. that less wishy washy for ya? :spin:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I predict that Wildcat will never be the #1 destination in the east. I also predict that today's item on Steep and Cheap will not sell out but tomorrow will have at least 5 different items for sale tomorrow of which I may or may not buy one. And last I predict that we will see measurable snow fall this year in New England and I will ski Killington more than once.:snow:

Status
Not open for further replies.