• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Ridge Opening Day 2013-2014 Season

WoodCore

Nice! Reminds me of a day I had at Plattekill a few years back. Epic deep snow.

Cornhead

Wow!!!!! Props to you buddy! That looks like a memorable experience and one that will be hard to beat
Now I'm even glad I got stuck, it was all part of the experience. At the time, it was kinda scary. I don't know if it would have been easier to take my skis off, or not. It was difficult to keep both skis pointed in the same direction. It took tremendous effort to work one ski towards the surface where it could be realigned with its partner and advanced slightly forward. If you tried to just shuffle them under the snow, your legs would just compact the snow in front of it til you could go no further. Then it was even harder to bring a ski to the surface. I tried backing up when this happend, that was futile. A patroller stopped uphill from me and just watched, I assume to make sure I could make it without help. I was a little concerned about my heart being able to handle the stress. I was so spent when I got to within three feet of someone's track at the edge of the groomed strip, I took my skis off and crawled the last few feet on my knees using my shins as snowshoes. In retrospect, the easiest way out may have been to follow my track back uphill, probably with skis off. It's counterintuitive to think going uphill would be easier than going down, or even sideways, which is what I did. Once was definitely enough, I made sure I was close enough to cut up snow to bail the rest of the day. In fact, I spent the last hour skiing the boundary between skied and unskied snow. Dipping into the fresh, bailing back into the cut up, picking up speed, and repeating down the trail. The little islands of untracked amongst the cut up were fun to blast through too. One of the most memorable days of my skiing life without a doubt.