• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

pinnoke

I looked, too (last night and a little after 9am today)...no groomer graphic. But, I got a text from a friend who arrived at LP about 9:45 indicating it WAS groomed.
Despite an initial plan to groom Stein's again ahead of today (Saturday), it was apparently not. Earlier this morning on the Trails report, it showed 9/11; now: 8/11... and it's Stein's without the grooming icon.

cdskier

Despite an initial plan to groom Stein's again ahead of today (Saturday), it was apparently not. Earlier this morning on the Trails report, it showed 9/11; now: 8/11... and it's Stein's without the grooming icon.

I enjoyed Steins today. The reset Thursday night was good enough for me to really enjoy it today. Kept getting better as the day went on. I'm starving now and need some lunch.

The report also still shows both Lower Snowball and Spring Road as groomed. Neither are. (Although Lower Snowball was also a blast with some dirt/grass skiing mixed in!)

WinS

I enjoyed Steins today. The reset Thursday night was good enough for me to really enjoy it today. Kept getting better as the day went on. I'm starving now and need some lunch.

The report also still shows both Lower Snowball and Spring Road as groomed. Neither are. (Although Lower Snowball was also a blast with some dirt/grass skiing mixed in!)
It had been on the plan, but Warren was not able to get to it. Not sure if a groomer problem or he had too much work putting other trails into shape. Probably too warm going forward to do it again.

sull1102

Great day today between a few showers in the area, have to think it’ll Valley House next weekend. Huge thank you to ops for keeping a few trails open with some groomer magic.

IMG_7439.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

Hawk

Great weekend. skied until my legs fell off. Good to ski with the regulars and local crowd and all have drinks on Rumbles deck in the afternoon. This is what I love about this time of year. All your friends that were there on day one are there and you get to ski and make plans for the summer mountain biking, road biking and other trips and plans. One more week of fun I guess and then off to the other world. I don't thnk I will do a Killington weekend like other years. I need to let my knees heal.

Lotso

By the looks of it and the forecast, it will be VH with Stein's and Coffee Run for the final weekend. I don't think SB/SF will make it, unless there's some cold to allow for snow to be moved.

cdskier

By the looks of it and the forecast, it will be VH with Stein's and Coffee Run for the final weekend. I don't think SB/SF will make it, unless there's some cold to allow for snow to be moved.

I think there's a decent chance they can still move enough snow around to keep SB open to get to SF. I've seen it much thinner than this other years and they still managed to keep it going.

Lotso

I think there's a decent chance they can still move enough snow around to keep SB open to get to SF. I've seen it much thinner than this other years and they still managed to keep it going.
That would be cool, b/c SF has plenty of snow except just above VH. Hopefully they can connect the dots!

sull1102

I would be very surprised if they can’t piece together Snowball to keep Spring Fling open. There’s plenty of snow they can push around and from what I saw yesterday on Jester, Murphys Glade, and elsewhere they are VERY willing to put in the work and make it happen.

Hawk

I saw them pushing snow around on the web cam and was wondering what was going on. Good. Tomorrow will be a nice day. Sunday.......not so nice.

cdskier

I didn't go up this weekend, but I'm amazed how much snow was lost since last weekend from looking at the cams.

cdskier

Saw something interesting today:
1714849632759.png

I don't recall hearing last year that the whole reason for not grooming the whales on Steins was due to a winch issue. Seems odd though as Ripcord was still being groomed and I find it hard to believe they were free grooming that all season. They also have 2 winch cats at LP. Both were broken and not capable of grooming Steins? Or is there something unique that would impact the ability to winch and groom the whales but not prevent normal daily winching on other trails? (Also the "state-of-the-art snowmaking system" comment is a bit comical).

thetrailboss

Staff member
View attachment 62796

I don't recall hearing last year that the whole reason for not grooming the whales on Steins was due to a winch issue. Seems odd though as Ripcord was still being groomed and I find it hard to believe they were free grooming that all season. They also have 2 winch cats at LP. Both were broken and not capable of grooming Steins? Or is there something unique that would impact the ability to winch and groom the whales but not prevent normal daily winching on other trails? (Also the "state-of-the-art snowmaking system" comment is a bit comical).
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get my order in for a Mount Ellen shirt......

djd66

View attachment 62796

I never heard that reason either. I was also surprised that they announced closure of half the mountain with 1 week notice.

Poor communication by the current management. Not sure if anyone from sugarbush reads this forum, but it would be greatly appreciated if they communicated to their customers when they have information.