• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't really care for cardio no matter what it is. I'll do about 15 minutes HIIT a few days a week, but 90% of my gym work is throwing weights around and stretching between sets. That I very much enjoy.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Not to sound too cheesy, buy you need to open your mind to appreciate nordic skiing, if you have alpined all your life. Maybe remove the word skiing and think about it differently. If you like the gym (I don't) I can't imagine you couldn't make a place in your life for nordic. It's less about speed and g-forces and more about rythym. It's also a great way to get cardio without impact.

I feel pretty strongly that life will suck if my knees fail me. I know people in their 90s who still cross country ski. We are moving to 1900 feet (120 inches of snow on average) and we have 2 miles or nordic/mtb trail on our land. I'm imagining many days, I'll ski Gore in the morning, and in our woods after lunch.

1dog

Not to sound too cheesy, buy you need to open your mind to appreciate nordic skiing, if you have alpined all your life. Maybe remove the word skiing and think about it differently. If you like the gym (I don't) I can't imagine you couldn't make a place in your life for nordic. It's less about speed and g-forces and more about rythym. It's also a great way to get cardio without impact.

I feel pretty strongly that life will suck if my knees fail me. I know people in their 90s who still cross country ski. We are moving to 1900 feet (120 inches of snow on average) and we have 2 miles or nordic/mtb trail on our land. I'm imagining many days, I'll ski Gore in the morning, and in our woods after lunch.
Thats sounds wonderful and peaceful. . . . . and ( depending on prop.taxes - hoping its a farm). very inexpensive.

1dog

My skinning history is similar to the above. I think it was the 2009/10 season when I bought a setup. Practiced skinning up Bretton Woods on two different days, and another day skinned up the Cog on Mt Washington (only made it partway up). It was either that same season or the next I blew my ACL skiing on that setup (K2 Hardsides with Marker Barons) and I (perhaps irrationally) lost faith in those bindings. Knee didn’t feel normal for a couple of seasons and I never went back to it.
had thaat same set up for my original skin set - its all too heavy. Lighter makes quite a difference. Still, only a couple times a year at best - and Ammonusuc is one if not the favorite all time skin/ski.

As someone said up above, Utah - Mt Superior skin- damn near killed me.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Thats sounds wonderful and peaceful. . . . . and ( depending on prop.taxes - hoping its a farm). very inexpensive.
It's not farm. We actually have two pieces of land, side by side. On the original piece (5 acres) we are building our house. The second piece is much larger and undeveloped, it borders the smaller property on two sides. We re-mortgaged our NJ house to buy it, we desperately wanted to avoid having neighbors so close.

Building a house is certainly going to raise our property tax, but we are selling our house in NJ (to pay for it) and we estimate that when done, out property taxes will be about half of what they are now. Not cheap, but much cheaper. (I will certainly get a lump in my throat when I open that first tax bill!)

No doubt nordic is cheaper. And we are about a mile from a trailhead into 120,000 of NY wilderness, and we will likely go back to our roots, exploring the backcountry, like we did before our daughter was born. We got into downhill because Gore has awesome affordable daycare. My wife said to me the other day "what have you done with that backcountry skier I married?"

The other thing is that will be cheaper is my annual driving total should go way down. In the last 12 months I drove 22,000 miles, a huge percentage of that is skiing. I think I can get it down to 10,000 including forays into VT.

Last edited:

2Planker

The Jackson XC center goes across our land so we get free rentals & passes for family & friends. Great organization. Trail network is huge.

abc

I tried mentioning this in post 9,999 of this thread, the only thing that I got out of it was a bunch of crap. I did get my jazzy new avatar out of the exchange! Nothing else has changed in 700+ additional posts.
Like I said, what’s this piece of news got to do with Vail sucks?

If you want more people to see it, there’s no worse way than burying it in something totally unrelated. Much less a thread about “nothing has changed” and full of negativity!

What else do you expect? Something to change???

I would have been interested in the topic. But you won’t find me opening this thread much as I don’t hate Vail. So I won’t bother with the discussion. Get it?

BodeMiller1

What does Vail have to do with Vail? For me it's about which bear is where. For example black bears or brown. Some resorts have both. That's the Vail play.

abc

But here you are ;)
And the last time I opened this thread was 10 days ago, even though I was on other threads almost daily.

The guy complained he didn’t get any response about the skinning nut. Of course he got no interest. He’d be lucky half of the forum participants look into THIS thread at all, while the rest of us check in once or twice a month!

I’m actually interested in the skinning nut’s story, but I’d be dammed if I have to wade through all the Vail hater crap in order to hunt down the few relevant posts.